cranes-fan.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did you get into Cranes or, what is your Cranes story?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    cranes-fan.com Forum Index -> Cranes Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: How did you get into Cranes or, what is your Cranes story? Reply with quote

I saw the Tomorrow's Tears video on MTV's 120 minutes back in 1992 when I was 16, went out and bought the Wings of Joy CD and pretty much listened to nothing else for months! I remember going to the record store on the day Forever came out full of excitement! I also remember finding Self-Non-Self for sale having no idea what it was (in those pre-internet days).

First time I saw them live was 1995 in Tempe Arizona, still one of the best concerts I have ever been to, mainly because of the years of buildup and how much their music meant to me. Not to mention the friendliest band around!
hans

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best friend made me tape early 1990 with Self-Non-Self and Scar (Lush). I remember that after listening to One From The Slum for the first time I said to myself: This is really special, something like the perfect indie Bond theme. And then came Ali's voice alongside that brillant music. Sheer perfection. From then on I've been a Cranes man.
I don't exactly remember when I saw them live for the first time. Somewhere in 1990. I do remember buying the Fuse tape at one of those first gigs. Seen Cranes about 10/15 times in the 90's. Last time I saw them was in Den Bosch in 2009. After the concert I had a chat with Ali which didn't go too well. I was on the brink of a major burn-out and had too many glasses of wine. I stil regret that. I just hope I didn't give Ali a scare. She really is the sweetest angel. I hope I can have another chat with her sometime.
vestcoat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't listen to music until I was seventeen. I was inundated with noise growing up in a small house with three siblings listening to stuff and a musician parent. The last thing I wanted was more noise during the rare times of silence. Neither was I comfortable with a stranger's voice reflecting on my taste or mood. So I listened to stand-up comedy, Weird Al, the primitive synth of my Nintendo, and that was about it. Then my cool older sister played Adrift for me. I dubbed the whole album. Then I bought Forever. Then I bought Loved, Wings of Joy, and Population Four.

I picked up a $50 bass my Dad had lying around the house and realized I couldn't play much, but I could plunk along with the opening notes on Come This Far. The second song I learned was Stalk. I printed all of the tabs off of the Pale Blue Sky website and had my music teacher help me figure the songs that weren't posted online. I started a band and I've been playing music ever since. Then Dedicated released Self-non-Self in the U.S. and the EP Collection. Then I discovered ebay and gemm (c.1998) and bought everything else. I eventually found Fuse on Napster or Audio Galaxy and later scored an official tape on ebay for way too much money. I bought a bootleg VHS of all the music videos and played it for all of my friends.

Listening to Cranes got me into other bands, I learned to appreciate most music, studied sound arts, and now work as a live engineer.

When Cranes toured the U.S. in '02 I drove eight hours from Minneapolis to Chicago with four friends, saw the show, cried, and posted the setlist on Starblood. I'm glad I made the trek because they haven't toured here since. Still hoping they come back soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    cranes-fan.com Forum Index -> Cranes Message Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: