cranes-fan.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lost Album

Post new topic   Reply to topic    cranes-fan.com Forum Index -> Cranes Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: The Lost Album Reply with quote

Been a while, I know.... But still listening and collecting!

Last week I managed to get my hands on the Elegy 3 sampler cd. This of course is the only release of the 'Here Comes The Day' demo.
As far as I know this song together with the tracks from the 'Moon City' ep are the only released tracks of the "Lost" album. I don't know if I'm right, but I remember reading somewhere that this album was recorded in 1998, and was going to be called 'It's A Beautiful World'.
I don't know the reason why this album never saw the light of day.

My question to you lot is:
Are there any more (lost) tracks out there?
Can anyone give some more info on this album?

Would really like to know this, for the 3 released tracks are amongst my favs!

Cheers x
pills23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could help, but aside from the tracks you mentioned, I don't know of any others. I'd love to hear some new material, even if it's old material.

Now, about that US tour... Confused
hans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep on wishing... and perhaps one day Dorothy will take you to OZ!!!

Courage mon ami xxx
vestcoat

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in my earlier topic, the Til the Stars Shine hints that [Driving] in the Sun is a contemporary of Here Comes the Day and It's a Beautiful World. Today I did some poking around the old news archives and found some more hints:

Quote:
The cranes songs [on Moon City 7"] were written in 1998 and are not anything to do with the current 'Future Songs' album (emphasis added), but those of you who have the 'Til The Stars Shine ' lyric book, might notice that the words to 'It's a Beautiful World' are included in it, even though that song has never been released....until now !! 'The Moon City' was written around the same time, but has never been released either !

-Dadaphonic-Cranes Newsletter August 2002
Quote:

Thank you so much for responding to our September letter about our proposed new releases. Lots of you left messages and we are really happy to let you know that the book of lyrics is going to be available in December ! It contains lyrics to 50 Cranes songs and has some pictures and is hand-made. Really hope you like it ! As for the new CD we are still working on the music but are hoping that it will be ready in the Spring. We are waiting a little while before deciding whether to release the album ourselves or not, but we are thinking that it might be called 'It's a Beautiful World ' and lyrics to three of the new songs from it are included in the new lyric book (emphasis added). We'll send you some more details about it in the next newsletter so you can see how things are going...

Well, since we last wrote we have just spent some weeks arranging things for the book and working on some music for the LP.

CRANES Newsletter - November 1998

This information confirms that:
1) The Cranes were working on It's a Beautiful World in late '98.
2) Material slated for It's a Beautiful World wasn't carried over into Future Songs.
3) The lyric book contains three songs planned for the album. The title track is the only one indicated on the table of contents. The others are most likely [Driving] In the Sun and Here Comes the Day. In the Sun's inclusion in Future Songs contradicts #2, but it's the only other song that hadn't been released at the time of the lyric book (maybe they were planning to put a new version of Perfect World on the album, but I doubt it).

So there we have it. The following tracks make a pretty good playlist/CD-r for the late-Nineties period
1) It's a Beautiful World
2) Here Comes the Day
3) Moon City (demo version)
4) Driving In the Sun (original or Submarine remix)
5) Future Song (demo version)
6) Perfect World
7) The Christmas Angel

On a different topic, I'd be curious to hear what Alison was recording by herself in 1995 along with Perfect World. I'd reckon that the "September Sound" studio credited in Can't Get Free was their home multitrack. An acoustic-ish record of Alison Shaw demos would be pretty cool.
pills23

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vestcoat wrote:
An acoustic-ish record of Alison Shaw demos would be pretty cool.

Now that would be pretty cool! Thanks for putting all of this research together. It's nice to have some sense of clarity about this period of their career.
vestcoat

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pills23 wrote:
vestcoat wrote:
An acoustic-ish record of Alison Shaw demos would be pretty cool.

Now that would be pretty cool!

Now that I think about it, most of her creative output from 1995 probably went into what would become Population 4. She switched to guitar on that album and Tangled Up and Sweet Unknown are both very similar to Perfect World in terms of heartbreak and acoustic guitar. In fact, Sweet Unknown was recorded in '95, although in a different studio. I'd wager that Mark Freegard's keyboard and "production" weren't added until two years later.

Also on the subject of lost albums, there were a number of odd songs from the late Eighties that leave me wondering about possible demos or unreleased studio sessions, namely: Self-non-Self; Nothing in the Middle, Nothing-at the End; Reach; Til Tomorrow; Slow Song.

We know Self-non-self was recorded in '86 and later released as a WoJ bonus track along with the original Fuse, so it's probably a Fuse-sessions outtake.

Nothing in the Middle was released on a comp in '87 and we don't know anything about it. It could be another Fuse outtake or, judging by the vocal delivery, a contemporary of Vegetate. Or it could be from another Fame Evil session entirely.

All we've ever heard of Reach and Slow Song are live versions (Live at the Paradiso and Self-Non-Self contain the same recording of Reach, just different mixes. The label probably owns the original mix, while Cranes own the multitrack). It would be strange if the Cranes never attempted to record these two songs in a studio.

Ditto for Til Tomorrow - all we've heard is the Peel Session.
hans

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

September Sound is a recording studio in London. It is known as Eel Pie Studios. The Cocteau Twins called it September Sound, and recorded their later albums there.

Check Wiki...

Thanks for the info brothers and sisters,

Livind And Breathing... at last!!!

Cheers
Hans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    cranes-fan.com Forum Index -> Cranes Message Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: